Please let me know if you find this page useful. I would really like to know who is using it.
The Donegal Valuations show the following:-
In 1860 in the Townland of Upper Tullydush in the Parish of Lower Fahan were William Quigley, Robert Quigley and Robt. Quigley, John Quigley
We also find that in Upper Tullydush in the parish of Lower Fahan there is William Burns and James Burns. In Lower Fahan, Ballymacarry is John and James Burns, in Aghilly and Lenynarnan is James Bell and in Tullyarvan is Samuel Bell.
Robert Quigley (little) was in partnership with William Burns and they rented 17 acres and 30 perches from Thomas Alexander. They also rented bog land for turf cutting
Robert Quigley (big) rented also from Thomas Alexander a dwelling house some outbuildings and 92 acres of land. He also sublet a cottage and small vegetable garden to James Burns our great grandmother’s (Mary Burns) father
Although Thomas Alexander can be found in the records nothing else is known about him.
John Quigley and William Quigley were jointly renting a farm of 33acres with a Thomas Porter. They each had their own houses. From the valuations they were small 2 roomed stone built thatched cottages common at the tim
It can be noted from the family tree that in the next generation James Quigley married a Sarah Porter. Perhaps Thomas was her father. There were a number of Porters living in the area at the time.
From the dates we have John Quigley married Ann Cameron, Robert Quigley married Jane Quigley and William Quigley is also married to a Jane. It is not clear what the relationship to each other is but it can be safely assumed that they were siblings or close relatives of our great great grandfather John.
When we examine the dates it is more than likely, though I cannot prove it that Robert, John and William are bothers of our great great grandfather. This would make James Burns and Mary Cameron, Robert Quigley’s sister-in-law and her husband. William Burns would either have been father or brother of James Burn
Griffiths Valuation Records 1868
These are names copied from the list
Quigley John Tullydush, Upper Fahan Lower Donegal
Quigley John Castlequarter Fahan Upper Donegal
Quigley John Tullydush, Upper Fahan Lower Donega
Quigley Robert Magherabeg Fahan Upper Donegal
Quigley Robert Tullydush, Upper Fahan Lower Donegal
Quigley Robt. Tullydush, Upper Fahan Lower Donegal
Quigley William Elaghbeg Burt Donegal
Quigley William Magherabeg Fahan Upper Donegal
Quigley William Mossyglen Moville Lower Donegal
Quigley William Tievebane Fahan UpperDonegal
Quigley William Tullydush, Upper Fahan Lower Donegal
Quigley Willian Tullydush, Upper Fahan Lower Donegaal
Burns James Roes Inver Donega
Burns James Tullydush, Upper Fahan Lower Donegal
Burns Jane Ballymacarry Fahan Lower Donegal
Burns John Ballymacarry Fahan Lower Donega
Burns William Tullydush, Upper Fahan Lower Donegal
In research I find that there are 3 farms. and three cottages in a row. In front of these houses where the wall now is, there was a dairy for making cheese and other milk products. There were other barns etc. for milking. The place was known as Big Holm and this appeared on maps of the time. It is still described as such in recent planning maps and a name plate is on the wall in front of the
houses. Apart from cattle, peat was cut as fuel and presumably sold locally
One cottage seems to have been owned by the Walkers, Florence (known as Florrie) her husband George and her father Hugh Quigley.
The second is owned by Thomas Quigley and it is this part which is eventually run by our Grandfather William James who at this time is living in Londonderry at 40 Cottage Row Rosemount. In the 20’s he returns to Tullydish with his wife Margaret and their two children John and Sarah Jane (known as Sadie). I am told by family that William had a coal delivery business which he sold to Joseph Quigley and used this money to pay for his portion of the farm. Our mother also tells me that Thomas borrowed a sum of money from William James to buy fields on the Marrows. Thomas died a young man of 37yrs and the farm was then taken over by our grandfather.
The third farm then must have been owned by James snr, who was brother to John, and his son James. It is this third branch which according to the legal papers is later owned by Robert and James jnr. Robert and his brother are already in Glasgow where Robert married Anne McKenzie in 1909. Anne died in 1915 and her daughter Margaret was brought back to Tullydish to be brought up by Aunt Sarah Jane, sister to William James. Anne and Robert had another child James. I have no details of this child. Possibly Anne died during childbirth. Robert however, returned to Tullydish and took up with the farm.
His brother stayed in Glasgow. According to our mother James suffered head injuries from an accident with a horse and cart. He had some brain damage as a result. Margaret was also known as Greta. She inherited the farm eventually and papers show the details of this.
It is not very clear who inherited what parts of the farm until more recent times. Certainly there were partnerships, land rented, land bought and deeds passed on but I have not found out at what point the land is owned by the Quigley family. It is however clear that there were a great deal more people living in Tullydish in the early days. It seems to have been a busy community.
The family were all Church of Ireland and many were members of the Orange Lodge. When Donegal became part of Southern Ireland (Lower Fahan had until then been part of Raphoe) this created some difficulties for them as they were now in the Catholic South.
Burt Defenders of the Faith and The Deed of Covenan
Many of the places in the photocopies ( see at the end of the book) of an article about the Burt Fait Defenders, would have been very familier to our grandfather and his family. It shows the development of this particular Lodge which would have been used by members of the family
In 1912 we can find that all of the family signed the deed of covenant and I have included a copy of some of the signatures of family members. This was a historic time in Irish history and it is strange to be able to read all the signatures of both the men and women of Tullydish.
Descendants of Robert Quigley
Generation No. 1
1. ROBERT QUIGLEY (QUIGLEY FATHER) was born 1801 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland, and died 28 Jun 1872 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland. He married JANE QUIGLEY 12 Feb 1841 in Church of Ireland Buncarana Donegal Ireland. She was born 1820 in Londonderry Ireland, and died 04 Mar 1900 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
More About ROBERT QUIGLEY:
Residence: 1857, Griffiths Valuation Tullydish Upper
Children of ROBERT QUIGLEY and JANE QUIGLEY are:
i. ELIZA QUIGLEY, b. 1840, Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland; m. FITZGERALD DOCHERTY, 13 Nov 1862, Upper Fahan Donegal Ireland; b. 1840, Donegal Ireland.
2. ii. JAMES QUIGLEY, b. 1842, Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland; d. 26 May 1916, Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
iii. MARGARET QUIGLEY, b. 01 Jan 1844, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
3. iv. JOHN QUIGLEY, b. 16 Jun 1845, Buncrana Donegal Ireland; d. 31 Jan 1937, Tullydush Donegal Northern Ireland.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES QUIGLEY (ROBERT) was born 1842 in Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland, and died 26 May 1916 in Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland. He married SARAH PORTER, daughter of THOMAS OR JOHN PORTER. She was born Abt. 1850 in Donegal Ireland.
Notes for JAMES QUIGLEY:
listed in the Griffin Land Valuation for Ireland 1/10/1857 Was badly injured in a fall from a pony and trap and suffered brain damage. It affected his memory for the rest of life. He constantly talked to himself.
More About FATHER JAMES QUIGLEY:
Occupation: 1857, Farmer Inishowen Lower Fahan – Upper Tullydush – Donegal Ireland
Children of JAMES QUIGLEY and SARAH PORTER are:
i. MARY ANNE QUIGLEY, b. 28 Apr 1869, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
ii. JAMES QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1875, Donegal co.Donegal Ireland.
iii. ROBERT QUIGLEY, b. 20 Dec 1875, Donegal Northern Ireland; d. Abt. 1942, Glasgow Scotland; m. ANNIE MCKENZIE, 1909; b. 10 Feb 1873, Shank St (?) Airdrie Lanarkshire; d. 10 Oct 1915, St.James Road Glasgow Scotland.
Notes for ROBERT QUIGLEY:
listed in griffiths valuation for upper Tullydush
More About ROBERT QUIGLEY:
Fact -: 1912, signed Ulster Covenant at Glasgow brother James signed in Buncrana
Occupation: 1909, Lorryman
Residence: lived in Collins St. Glasgow
Notes for ANNIE MCKENZIE:
Dwelling: 8 Espedair St
Census Place: Paisley Low Church, Renfrew, Scotland
William MC KENZIEM Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Margaret MCKENZIE Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland
Joseph MCKENZIE Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland
Elizabeth MCKENZIE Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland
Ann MCKENZIE 8 Airdrie, Lanark, Scotland
More About ANNIE MCKENZIE:
Medical Information: died of heart attack
Residence: 1909, 24 Stock Str.Paisley
3.JOHN QUIGLEY (ROBERT) was born 16 Jun 1845 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland, and died 31 Jan 1937 in Tullydush Donegal Northern Ireland. He married MARY BURNS 03 Dec 1872 in Buncarana Donegal Ireland, daughter of JAMES BURNS and MARY CAMERON. She was born 14 Mar 1851 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
Notes for FATHER JOHN QUIGLEY:
listed in the Griffin Land Valuation for Ireland 1/10/1857
More About FATHER JOHN QUIGLEY:
Occupation: 1857, Farmer Inishowen Lower Fahan – Upper Tullydush – Donegal Ireland
Residence: 1857, Griffiths valuation Tullydish Upper; Castlequarter
Marriage Notes for JOHN QUIGLEY and MARY BURNS:
ln the presence of William Burns and Sarh Ann Burns
Children of JOHN QUIGLEY and MARY BURNS are:
4. i. ROBERT JOHN QUIGLEY, b. 09 Jan 1878, Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland; d. 12 Oct 1969, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
ii. SARAH JANE QUIGLEY, b. 22 Oct 1879, Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland; d. 22 May 1967, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
More About SARAH JANE QUIGLEY:
Fact -: 1912, signed Ulster Covenant at Buncrana Tullydish
iii. ELIZABETH QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1880, Donegal Ireland; d. Abt. 1960, Rutherglen Glasgow Scotland; m. EDDIE GILLESPIE; b. Abt. 1880.
Notes for ELIZABETH QUIGLEY:
5. iv. WILLIAM JAMES QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1880, Tullydush Inishowen Northern ireland; d. 1963, Tullydush Inishowen Donegal Ireland.
6. v. HUGH QUIGLEY, b. 03 Nov 1880, Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland; d. 19 May 1965, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
vi. MARY QUIGLEY, b. 20 May 1882, Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland; d. 26 Sep 1909, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
vii. THOMAS QUIGLEY, b. 1883, Buncrana Donegal Ireland; d. 16 Dec 1920, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
Notes for THOMAS QUIGLEY:
Died a young man Thomas had wanted to buy part of the farm and borrowed money from his brother William James who was in Londonderry. William loaned it to him and when he died William inherited the farm.
7. viii. GEORGE ALEXANDER QUIGLEY, b. 29 Jul 1885, Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland; d. Slough Buckinghamshire England.
ix. KENNETH QUIGLEY, b. 27 Sep 1888, Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland.
x. SUSAN QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1892, Buncrana Donegal Ireland; d. 28 Nov 1909, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
Notes for SUSAN QUIGLEY:
She died a young woman from TB
8. xi. JOSEPH QUIGLEY, b. 24 Mar 1894, Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland; d. Abt. 1960, londonderry ireland.
Generation No. 3
4. ROBERT JOHN QUIGLEY (JOHN, ROBERT) was born 09 Jan 1878 in Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland, and died 12 Oct 1969 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland. He married ELIZABETH JANE QUIGLEY. She was born 09 Jun 1872 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland, and died 19 Oct 1934 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
Notes for ROBERT JOHN QUIGLEY:
Lived at the Roadside Tullydish. The house was burnt down and is now a ruin
More About ROBERT JOHN QUIGLEY:
Baptism: 12 May 1878, received into the church
Child of ROBERT QUIGLEY and ELIZABETH QUIGLEY is:
i. MARY FERGUSSON, b. Abt. 1880, Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
5. WILLIAM JAMES QUIGLEY (JOHN, ROBERT) was born Abt. 1880 in Tullydush Inishowen Northern ireland, and died 1963 in Tullydush Inishowen Donegal Ireland. He married MARGARET BELL, daughter of RICHARD BELL and MILLER. She was born Abt. 1880 in Northern ireland, and died Abt. 1963 in Donegal ireland.
Notes for WILLIAM JAMES QUIGLEY:
Had a business delivering coal. He sold this to buy the farm in Tullydish. He had lent money to his brother Thomas to buy the land and when Thomas died young he inherited that part of the farm.
More About WILLIAM JAMES QUIGLEY:
Fact -: 1912, signed Ulster Covenant at Burnfoot
Occupation: 1915, coal delivery driver
Residence: 1915, 40 Cottage Row Rosemount Londonderry
More About MARGARET BELL:
Burial: 1965, Buncrana Donegal Ireland
Residence: 1911, Gortnaskea Upper Fahan Donegal
Children of WILLIAM QUIGLEY and MARGARET BELL are:
9. i. JOHN5 QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1910; d. 31 May 1996, Waterside Londonderry Ireland.
10. ii. SARAH JANE QUIGLEY, b. 16 Sep 1915, northern ireland.
6. HUGH QUIGLEY (JOHN, ROBERT) was born 03 Nov 1880 in Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland, and died 19 May 1965 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland. He married MARGARET BANKS, daughter of 2 BANKS and 1 BANKS. She was born Abt. 1900.
Child of HUGH QUIGLEY and MARGARET BANKS is:
11. i. FLORENCE QUIGLEY, b. 09 Dec 1902, Buncrana Donegal Ireland; d. 31 Dec 1989, Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
7. GEORGE ALEXANDER QUIGLEY (JOHN, ROBERT) was born 29 Jul 1885 in Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland, and died in Slough Buckinghamshire England. He married PLESSEY.
Notes for GEORGE ALEXANDER QUIGLEY:
WAS 90 IN 1991
Child of GEORGE QUIGLEY and PLESSEY is:
i. JOHN QUIGLEY, b. 1914; d. 12 May 1944, Monticassino Italy.
8. JOSEPH QUIGLEY (JOHN, ROBERT) was born 24 Mar 1894 in Lower Fahan Donegal Ireland, and died Abt. 1960 in londonderry ireland. He married FRANCIS NEELY. She was born Abt. 1880 in Donegal Ireland.
Children of JOSEPH QUIGLEY and FRANCIS NEELY are:
i. JOHN QUIGLEY, b. 1913; m. MYRTLE.
ii. TILLY QUIGLEY, b. Abt. 1925.
Iii Molly Quigley
Generation No. 4
9. JOHN QUIGLEY (WILLIAM JAMES, JOHN, ROBERT) was born Abt. 1910, and died 31 May 1996 in Waterside Londonderry Ireland. He married EVA KATHLEEN BROOKS, daughter of W.J.BROOKS and ISABELLA BROOKS. She was born 1910 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland, and died 24 Jun 2002 in Waterside Londonderry Ireland .
More About JOHN QUIGLEY:
Retirement: 1975, left Tullydish went to Londonderry
Children of JOHN QUIGLEY and EVA BROOKS are:
1 daughter 1 son still living
10. SARAH JANE QUIGLEY (WILLIAM JAMES, JOHN, ROBERT) was born 16 Sep 1915 in northern ireland. She married DONALD NICOLSON7, son of MALCOM NICOLSON and CATHERINE MCCALLUM. He was born 06 Oct 1908 in Hamilton Park Terrace Oban Scotland7, and died 09 Jun 1983 in Edinburgh Scotland7.
Notes for SARAH JANE QUIGLEY:
came to Alderbank in Edinburgh 1939
lived at Rosemount Cottages Londonderry as a child
At about the age of 10 went to live at Big Holme in Tullydish nr, Buncrana
More About SARAH JANE QUIGLEY:
Occupation: nurse in Edinburgh Northern General
Notes for DONALD NICOLSON:
George Herriots school 1922
had a very serious head injury when about 18. Operated on by Dr.Norman Dot. This was pioneering surgery and Donald was given about 5yrs to live at best. He died aged 73
Children of SARAH QUIGLEY and DONALD NICOLSON are:
2 daughters, 2 sons, 4 grand daughters
11. FLORENCE QUIGLEY (HUGH, JOHN, ROBERT) was born 09 Dec 1902 in Buncrana Donegal Ireland, and died 31 Dec 1989 in Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland. She married GEORGE WALKER. He was born Abt. 1920 in Donegal Ireland, and died 02 Oct 1988 in Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland.
Child of FLORENCE QUIGLEY and GEORGE WALKER is:
i. CECIL WALKER, b. Abt. 1940, Donegal Ireland; d. 14 Mar 2002, Tullydish Buncrana Donegal Ireland.